Thursday, November 10, 2011

Personal Technology Project 2-Google Earth

My Google Earth Tour link: https://sites.google.com/site/mrpattersonsscienceclass/downloadable-documents

  1. Overall this experience of creating a tour on Google Earth was quite a bit harder than I thought it would be. I've had some basic experience with the program, including messing with the different layers and just looking at the different points on the map, but I didn't even know you could make your own customizable tours. By far the hardest thing for me to do was making sure that the information I wanted on each of the place-marks worked during the tour. I also had a difficult time getting the tour to work properly at first. The easiest thing for me was deciding on, and implementing, which layers I wanted on. Because of my past experience, this was something I could decide on, and then do, relatively easily. I would probably use Google Earth's virtual tour feature again. I think this is something that could really work in a earth sciences class.
  2. There are a couple of other things I could use virtual tours for to help me teach toward some of the other Utah Core Objectives. One of the learning objectives for Earth Science is to help students understand about plate tectonics. It would be really interesting to make a tour where you looked at geological formations that help us understand how plate tectonics work. For example, I could use the Himalayas to help them understand how they were formed, or I could show them the San Andreas fault line to help teach them about faults and plate tectonics. Another cool feature that I could use for an Integrated Science class is the "Explore Mars" feature. I could use it to make a tour of mars to help my students understand Mars better.

No comments:

Post a Comment